—Useful Advice from a Social Security Disability Lawyer
Filing for disability is not necessary difficult, but one simple mistake will result in an automatic denial. Most claims are initially denied due to errors or omissions, which is why it is important that anyone filing a Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) claim in NY understands the proper procedure for having their claim processed successfully.
Steps to Follow when Applying for SSDI
To apply for SSDI, you will need to take these important steps:
- Determining Eligibility – Not everyone is eligible for SSDI. If you did not pay into SSD with earnings, you may not be eligible for any benefits. Also, only qualifying conditions and situations will make you eligible for benefits. For example, having a condition that has lasted for more than 12 consecutive months.
- Gather Supporting Documentation – SSDI claims have strict documentation requirements. Review the document checklist provided by the Social Security Administration and include all applicable documents with your application. These documents are what support your eligibility and claim to SSDI benefits.
- Complete the Application – You will have to complete the Social Security Disability application. This is filed with the Social Security Administration(SSA).
- Examination – You will be required to attend an examination after the SSA has reviewed your medical records. During this examination, you will answer questions regarding your condition.
- Appeal – If your SSDI claim in NY is denied, you will need to file an appeal. The appeal process must be done within 60 days and it is best that you hire a social security disability lawyer to represent your appeal claim.
A social security disability lawyer can assist you with following the right strategy to present your eligibility for SSDI in a compelling way. While you may meet the initial eligibility requirements, if you are unable to prove that via documentation, you can end up having a claim denied. An attorney ensures that you have all adequate documentation, represents you during appeal hearings and can see that you receive the proper payment amount from the SSA once your claim is approved.
Call us today at 518-449-2245 to discuss your SSDI claim in NY or contact us online to schedule your free consultation .