While having to endure the Workers Compensation or Social Security Disability claim process it is natural to want to know the status of your claims. Especially when out of work, medical bills and living expenses stack up quickly and you need results. There are a few ways to go about finding out your status but we suggest contacting your Attorney first for any information regarding the status of your claim.
The Workers Compensation and Disability Benefits systems are designed to help injured workers but can become difficult to navigate as cases develop. Your attorney will be experienced in the processes and obstacles that may cause delay, have the ability to explain what is going on with your claim and will know who is best to contact depending on what stage of the claim process you are in.
WORKERS COMPENSATION CLAIM STATUS
New York State provides approved users the ability to view the electronic case (eCase) folders which the NYS Workers’ Compensation Board uses to process claims. In order to view these case files you must first register and then be approved to view your files.
- Note: Approved users may only view cases where they are listed as a party of interest, or have been delegated access by a party of interest who has eCase access.
- You may register for eCase here: Website
SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY CLAIM STATUS
Social Security claims will go through a few different levels before a final decision is made and there are different places to find the status of your claims at the various levels of the claim process. After the initial claim has been filed or if you have filed a first-level appeal you can contact the Social Security Office through which you filed your claim. Here you will be able to be directed to your disability examiner through the Disability Determination Services (DDS) for further information.
- Note: Disability Examiners will be able to give you a status for your claim but cannot provide you with information regarding the outcome or a timeline for the rest of the claim process.
- Note: Ask if there is anything you can do to speed up the process if your claim is still pending.
- You can also check the status of your disability case online if you are a registered user here: Website
- Get New York State Legal Resources by County
If your claim has submitted for a hearing, it isn’t likely that your local Social Security Office will have the answers you are looking for as the claim is now in the hands of the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR). At this stage it is best to contact the Hearing Office directly to ask of the hearing request.
- Find your local Hearing Office here: Website
The claims process does not always happen quickly but staying up-to-date on your claim status can potentially speed up the process by making sure you are not missing important deadlines. Contact Erwin, McCane & Daly to find out how we can help you with your Workers’ Compensation or Social Security Disability claim.