Workers’ compensation claims are filed each day around the United States, but there are some states that may see a higher volume of these claims than others. New York has had its fair share of workers comp cases, but it is interesting to see how New York compares to other states such as California, Texas, New Jersey, Florida and Massachusetts; especially when it comes to approval rates and payments.
Comparing New York to Other States
To accurately compare New York to other states, review these statistics :
- California – California had 8,861 workers’ compensation cases approved, but there were also 3,778 denials. The total number of payments dispersed were 3,408 in those cases. The total amount in compensation, including medical bills, was $418,438,524.
- Texas – Texas saw a total of 5,549 cases approved with 2,272 cases denied. There were a total of 2,213 payments made in those cases. The total amount of compensation, including medical bills, totaled $281,246,095.
- New Jersey – New Jersey saw only a total of 555 approved cases, with a total of 307 cases denied. There were 157 payments made which totaled $15,850,493 (including medical bills).
- Florida – As a bigger state (like California), Florida saw 6,088 cases approved with 3,073 cases denied. There were a total of 2,036 payments made, totaling $240,082,718 (including medical bills).
- Massachusetts – This state saw 1,631 claims approved and 851 claims denied. There were 582 total payments at a total of $75,148,283 (including medical bills).
- New York – New York had 8,207 cases approved and 4,101 denied. There were 3,164 payments totaling $423,852,178 (including medical bills).
In comparison to other states, New York has a high volume of claims (similar to California), but a larger number of denials compared to the larger states. However, New Jersey had the highest ratio of denials to approvals, while New York had the highest payout amount for compensation and medical bills.
New York does have a high rate of denials compared to approved cases, which is why it is best you seek assistance from a workers’ comp attorney before filing your own claim. An attorney can help ensure you have the necessary paperwork and represent your case to avoid an unnecessary denial. The attorneys at Erwin, McCane & Daly are here to assist you with your workers’ compensation claim. If you were injured on the job, you may be entitled to benefits and our attorneys would like to help you get the compensation you deserve.
Call us today at 518-449-2245 to discuss workers’ compensation benefits or contact us online to schedule your free consultation .